~ PUBLIC FOUNTAIN AT THE SQUARE ~
The fountain in the square
The fountain in 2014, behind the Washington Fire Hall
© 2005-2014 Mechanicsburg Museum Association.
All rights reserved.
Late in the summer of 1899, a public drinking
fountain was placed on the southeast corner of the Mechanicsburg town
square in front of Franklin Hall and the Market House. It was considered
a very simple model being made of brown sandstone. The fountain was the
first gift given to Mechanicsburg by the Mechanicsburg Women’s Club
which had been organized three years earlier. When it was installed the
fountain cost $54.42, and later, for the winter months when it was not
in use, a cover was made for it and the fountain was painted for which
the club paid an additional $1.75.
Several years later, a Women’s Club member reported that the public
fountain was in good condition and thus would cool the thirst of many a
wayfarer and many a weary animal. However, by the end of 1906 when
Mechanicsburg was preparing to celebrate its centennial, the fountain
had become damaged and the Women’s Club was considering replacing it
with a “handsome new one” for which the members were prepared to pay as
much as $300. The members wished to have it formally unveiled and
presented to the Borough during its 100th anniversary celebration.
The Club members were successful in obtaining enough voluntary
subscriptions from the townspeople, to replace the fountain to
commemorate the centennial. A new iron structure costing two hundred and
eighty-two dollars, with troughs for man, horse and dog, was placed near
the site of the old one and opened for public use on the 14th of August
1907. This project was completed through the energy and support of the
Women’s Civic Committee. The assistance of the Mechanicsburg Water
Company, the Franklin Hall and Market Association, the Borough fathers
and citizens were also greatly appreciated. This cast iron fountain
stood on a site in front of the current day PNC Bank, formerly the First
Bank and Trust Company.
During the Borough Council meeting of September 2, 1926, there were
discussions concerning the removal of Franklin Hall. The Property
Commission reported that permission had been granted to store the clock
from Franklin Hall, at the High School Building without charge. The
Light Committee reported the lighting equipment was moved from Franklin
Hall to the Police Headquarters. However, no mention was made of the
public fountain that was in front of Franklin Hall. Franklin Hall was
then torn down.
In a letter from Charles Eberly, Treasurer of the First Bank and Trust
Company, to Mr. George Z. Fishel, Secretary of the Borough Council dated
April 6, 1927 described that the Bank had discussed the fountain with
Miss Clara G. Titzel, President of the Women’s Club of Mechanicsburg,
and she reported that the fountain had been turned over to the Borough
While preparing the pavement in front of the First Bank and Trust
Company building that had been erected on the site of Franklin Hall in
1927, the two telephone companies and the Electric Light Company
cooperated and moved their poles back on the line which left the
fountain standing alone with the water container protruding over the
At the Borough Council meeting held on April 7, 1927, Mr. Aulthouse of
the Property Committee recommended the removal of the public fountain
which stood on the square.The motion for removal was seconded by Mr.
Trimble and passed. The Council believed the fountain had served its
purpose, and since it had deteriorated over the last twenty years, it
would be appropriate to have it removed. The minutes, however, did not
state the new location.
Today, you can view the Public Fountain, minus the water supply, in the
lawn behind the Washington Fire Company on East Main Street.
Beverly J. Bone