~ GEORGE ZACHARIAS ~
The father of George Adam Zacharias was Samuel
Zacharias who was born August 26, 1811 in Berks County. After Samuel
moved further west to Dauphin County, he married Maria C. Milleisen who
was born September 24, 1815 in Dauphin County. They were married in
Dauphin County on May 2, 1833. George was born May 6, 1835 in Dauphin
County. He was the first born and had seven siblings including David
Joseph; John Jacob; Samuel M.; Mary C.; Margaret M.; Charles R.; and
Robert B. It is interesting to note that Margaret married Edward M.
Eberly, the son of Levi Eberly who was the son of David Eberly and
Catharine Frankenberger, the daughter of George Frankenberger who owned
Samuel Zacharias and his family moved to Cumberland County between 1841
and 1847. Samuel became a grains dealer and was well known in the
Mechanicsburg. George married Mary Ann Riegel, daughter of John Adam
Riegel, on October 13, 1857. John Riegel was the son of Adam Riegel, one
of the founding fathers of Mechanicsburg and business partner with John
Coover, another founding father. According to Hauck’s 1876 Directory of
Mechanicsburg, George Zacharias occupied the position of general freight
and ticket agent at the Mechanicsburg Cumberland Valley Railroad Station
since 1860. The 1860 Census records George as a commercial merchant. The
1870 and 1880 Censuses record George as a telegraph operator.
In addition to his work, George was involved in the Holy Royal Arch
Chapter Mason Lodge No. 302 of Mechanicsburg. He was conferred the
Honorary Degree of Mark Master Mason and was accepted as a Most
Excellent Master Mason on July 13, 1866. He was also a member of the
National Grange of Patron of Husbandry. George was part of the
Mechanicsburg Chapter in charge of erecting the Centennial Encampment
near Philadelphia for the accommodation of fellow Grangers attending the
Centennial Exposition of 1876. Along with his father, Samuel, who was a
grains dealer and lived at 24 East Main Street, George was a member of
the Mechanicsburg Building Association which was organized in 1868.
George was also a member of the Cumberland County Horticultural Society
and in 1868 was a member of its Executive Committee. In 1872 George held
the position of Assistant Burgess of Mechanicsburg working for J.
Milliesen, Chief Burgess. George and Mary had two children. Frank was
born on August 30, 1861 and Gertrude was born in October 1863. All
resided at the Stationmaster House and were frequently joined by John
Jacob, George’s younger brother. George and his family remained in
Mechanicsburg and worked for the Cumberland Valley Railroad until 1878.
At that time George moved to Harper County, Kansas. He became the deputy
register of deeds and in 1880 he was elected Register of Deeds. His son,
Frank became a clerk working under his father. George remained in that
position for four years until 1884. At this time he retired from active
business and returned to Mechanicsburg. His son, Frank, remained in
Kansas and became successful in banking.
George, Mary and Gertrude resided at the corner of South High and West
Locust Streets. The property had originally belonged to Samuel Zacharias
and was sold to George before he went to Kansas. During his absence, the
property was sold by Sheriff Gill to John Riegel in trust for his
daughter, Mary Ann Zacharias. Gertrude attended public schools of
Mechanicsburg and graduated from the Mechanicsburg High School in 1881.
In October of 1907, Mr. and Mrs. George A. Zacharias celebrated their
Golden Wedding Anniversary in the presence of invited family and friends
at their residence on South High Street.
George and Mary suffered a tragic loss in 1916. Their daughter,
Gertrude, who never married, died on February 8, 1916 at the age of 51
years. Gertrude had been ill for some time from a complication of
diseases. She was buried in Chestnut Hill Cemetery.
In 1921, Mary Zacharias suffered a paralytic stroke, which weakened her
constitution. However, she lived until one month short of her 90th
birthday. She died at her home on South High Street on July 9, 1926.
George joined her in death a few hours later. Both were buried in the
Chestnut Hill Cemetery having been joined in matrimony 68 years.